The Sommerhaus was commissioned by Philipp Wallier and built between 1616 and 1644. It was based on the French style, with corner towers and wings. Nowadays, the Sommerhaus de Vigier is a rectangular building with seven sections and is regarded as one of the best-proportioned manor houses.

In 1669 Jean Frédéric de Vigier became the first Vigier to live in the house. He married Maria Margaretha, the daughter of Philipp Wallier. However, she died in childbirth in 1670, so the Sommerhaus remained in the Wallier family. In 1822 it passed into the ownership of the Vigier family when it was inherited by Urs de Vigier. Urs was part of the first generation of liberal Swiss politicians and was a member of Solothurn’s government from 1822 until his death in 1845. Wilhelm, the youngest of his five sons, played a key role in the history of radicalism in Solothurn and in Switzerland as the legendary Landammann (cantonal president) Vigier. The Sommerhaus was later inherited by his brother Urs (1814–1879), who was also a member of the cantonal government and wrote a history of Solothurn, published in 1878. From his son, the banker Karl Vigier, the house then passed to Dr Wilhelm von Vigier (1882–1974), before it was finally left to Bill de Vigier in 1962. In 1993, he gave the Sommerhaus to the Bill de Vigier Foundation, which he especially established for the preservation of this historic property.